ZwitterCo is seeking an experienced senior applications engineer to join our growing Applications Engineering & Technical Service team. This role will be a key contributor in ensuring the successful, high-impact application of ZwitterCo’s cutting-edge membranes across various industries with an emphasis on its reverse osmosis products.
The candidate will play both an internal- and external-facing role and serve as a subject matter expert on the implementation and integration of ZwitterCo membranes into larger industrial process and wastewater operations. The ideal candidate will have deep experience in crossflow (tangential flow) filtration system design, including spiral-wound reverse osmosis and ultrafiltration; membrane process integration within larger treatment plants; process and/or wastewater applications; and water and/or drinking water applications.
Key to this role is the ability to work across functions in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Role responsibilities include working with the sales engineering team, customers, and channel partners/integrators to identify, develop, and execute commercial opportunities; give and lead technical trainings, design guidelines, and system design reviews to partner’s engineering teams; and evaluate, mitigate, and communicate technical risks, among others (see Responsibilities section for a more complete list).
ZwitterCo has advanced the state-of-the-art of membrane-based filtration performance across a range of industries and has set an equally high standard for all our supporting function roles.
Candidates who thrive in a fast-paced, self-critical, growth environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Being an internal and customer-facing subject matter expert for ZwitterCo product families (with a focus on RO) and targeted applications/markets.
- Partner with the sales team in the customer discovery process and identify commercial opportunities.
- Develop customer proposals, which include providing a design and cost basis for membrane systems.
- Develop process and system design guidelines for integration and fabrication partners in target applications/markets for spiral-wound membrane products.
- Lead in-person technical training of preferred partners’ engineering teams.
- Review and improve channel partner system designs for optimal operations, incorporating lessons learned from pilot and full-scale deployments.
- Lead element, process, and system design improvement studies with internal and external stakeholders.
- Evaluate, mitigate, and communicate technical risks associated with new applications, projects, and/or partners.
- Own process due diligence and technical project approval.
- Troubleshoot complex customer problems and provide recommendations for corrective actions. Depending on the situation, this may be accomplished remotely or in the field.
- Provide after-sales technical support and troubleshooting for commercial installations.
- Write technical guidance documents and give oral/written presentations to customers, industry partners, and ZwitterCo business leaders as needed.
Other responsibilities as assigned.
- A university degree in an engineering discipline is required unless the candidate has extensive previous work experience in a comparable role. A degree in chemical, environmental, or mechanical engineering is preferred.
- 10+ years of experience with crossflow or tangential flow filtration is required.
- Experience costing, designing, and/or installing reverse osmosis and other spiral-wound membrane systems.
- Broad knowledge of water and wastewater treatment technologies, processes, and markets.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
This full-time position will be located in Woburn, MA, or remotely for highly qualified non-local candidates and reports to the Head of Applications Engineering & Technical Service.
Travel for this role is expected to be up to 25%.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and include equity and benefits.