ZwitterCo is announcing an immediate opening for a Research Assistant seeking a high-impact, collaborative role in a rapidly expanding business. The candidate will play a key role in the development and characterization of ZwitterCo’s breakthrough membranes. Candidates with experience in organic and/or polymer chemistry, membrane science, and/or materials characterization are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Research Assistant will be responsible for conducting research, designing experiments for synthesis and membrane development, and a variety of other functions in ZwitterCo’s R&D lab.
Responsibilities may include:
- Conducting research into new and improved chemistry platforms for achieving membrane product performance goals
- Hand coating membranes from R&D polymer batches and characterizing material properties
- Developing new methods to characterize membranes depending on function and type
- Performance testing for new membranes
- Operating laboratory equipment such as UV/Vis, FTIR, contact angle measurements, etc.
- Analyzing data and making recommendations for next steps based on results from experiments
- Establishing SOPs for routine R&D procedures
Critical Success Factors
Successful candidates will:
- Be methodical with excellent attention to detail
- Readily approach test results through a critical lens
- Be well-versed in laboratory practices
- Have a keen interest in environmental and water technologies
Candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a similar field with at least 1 year of hands-on laboratory experience.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of organic/polymer synthesis and characterization
- Experience with several analytical chemistry techniques
- Detailed knowledge of operation of industrial roll-to-roll coating equipment
- Basic statistical analysis (mean, standard deviations, confidence intervals)
- Proficient in tools relevant to these fields, such as MS Excel and laboratory notebook maintenance
- Flexibility to adapt to changes in lab operations, priorities, or schedules
This is a full-time position on-site in Woburn, MA, and reports directly to the Senior Manager of Technology Development.
Travel for this role is expected to be between 0% – 5%.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and include equity and benefits.