Overview of Role
ZwitterCo is announcing an immediate opening for an experienced Mechanical Engineer seeking a collaborative role in a rapidly expanding cleantech startup. We are seeking candidates with experience designing and drafting both R&D and manufacturing systems, with a particular emphasis on roll-to-roll processing, coating, and web conversion.
As part of the Research & Development team, you will work closely with process engineers, chemical engineers, and manufacturing engineers to design and fabricate components that support testing and manufacturing activities. You will be responsible for preparing engineering drawings based on ideas and sketches from the team and will need to identify and qualify outside fabrication shops to manufacturer these components and systems. Well-rounded engineers comfortable with doing their own prototyping and troubleshooting control systems are particularly desired. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design and draft 3D components (using software tools of your choosing) for both manufacturing and R&D needs
- Perform (or manage the outsourcing of) load and FEA calculations for weight-bearing structures
- Identify and qualify fabrication shops that meet our needs and manage relationships with these vendors
- Prototype small components using shop tools including SLA and/or milling
- Actively participate in idea creation for solutions, learning the specific requirements imposed by chemical, process, and manufacturing considerations
- Assist with hardware integration, procurement of instrumentation and components, and troubleshooting of control systems
Candidates should have at least a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. Subject matter expertise in the following areas is desired, in the approximate order of priority:
- High proficiency with the major 3D modeling software of your choosing
- Design of roll-to-roll web conversion or coating systems
- Working knowledge of PLC-based control systems
- Experience designing pneumatic parts or parts subject to high fluid pressures
- Piping and fluid systems, including 3D design of pilot-scale equipment
- LabVIEW development experience is a plus but not required
Schedule, Travel, Compensation, and Location
This is a full-time position in Woburn, MA. A hybrid work-from-home/on-site model is permitted. CAD and design work can be done remotely, but on-site presence for part of the week will be needed to participate fully in hands-on prototyping, hardware integration, design meetings, etc.
Travel for this role is expected to be 10% or lower, primarily to support Factory Acceptance Tests and inspections of fabricated components and assemblies. Occasional travel to trade shows or industry conferences is also possible.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and include a benefits package and company equity.Apply Now Back to Careers