Overview of Role
ZwitterCo is announcing an immediate opening for an Analytical Chemist seeking a collaborative role in a rapidly expanding cleantech startup. The person filling this role will become the company’s go-to resource for all analytical needs. Candidates with strong backgrounds maintaining laboratory instrumentation and a familiarity with water quality analysis and/or polymer characterization are particularly encouraged to apply.
ZwitterCo’s laboratory maintains analytical capabilities to support a wide range of the company’s operations, including water quality analysis, materials characterization, product quality control, and R&D. The Analytical Chemist will be the resident expert charged with qualifying, maintaining, and troubleshooting the methods and equipment that support all of these needs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures and associated training materials for a wide variety of analytical tests.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on laboratory instruments.
- Train other lab staff regarding best practices for laboratory instruments.
- Qualify outside laboratories for tests that will be outsourced, including local laboratories to support pilot-scale testing throughout North America.
- Perform sample testing on water, chemical intermediates, polymers, and membrane coupons as required by workload.
- Work closely with quality control program manager to design and conduct audits of test methods.
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. Other educational backgrounds may be acceptable if the candidate can demonstrate equivalent knowledge in the relevant skills. Candidates should have 3+ years of experience in an industrial or commercial analytical laboratory. Required skills and attributes:
- Excellent knowledge of liquid chromatography systems, with an emphasis on troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance. Candidates must have experience with HPLC/GPC/LC beyond routine operation of the instruments.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of technically sound approaches to instrument calibrations, blank measurements, method audits, and quality checks.
- Improvisation, creativity, and the ability to quickly ‘prototype’ new methods.
- Good judgement in weighing concerns about accuracy and robustness against demands for speed and cost.
- Flexibility to manage changes in lab operations, priorities, or schedules.
- Subject matter knowledge in specific fields will make candidates more competitive. Ideally, candidates will have experience or deep familiarity with at least one of the following topics: Polymer characterization & water quality analysis
- Polymer characterization, including Gel Permeation Chromatography, Dynamic Light Scattering, and Differential Scanning Calorimetry.
- Water quality analysis including Chemical Oxygen Demand, Turbidity, Dissolved Metals, Nitrogen, and Oil & Grease.
Schedule, Travel, Compensation, and Location
This is a full-time position on-site in Woburn, MA. The schedule is generally Monday through Friday during the professional workday; some flexibility in schedule is possible to accommodate commuting needs, childcare, etc.
This role is not expected to require significant travel, except to occasional trade shows or professional conferences.
Compensation will be competitive, commensurate with experience, and include a benefits package and company equity.Apply Now Back to Careers