Overview of Role
ZwitterCo is announcing an immediate opening for an Analytical Chemist seeking a collaborative role in a rapidly expanding cleantech startup. The person filling this role will become the company’s go-to resource for all analytical needs. Candidates with strong backgrounds maintaining laboratory instrumentation and a familiarity with water quality analysis and/or polymer characterization are particularly encouraged to apply.
ZwitterCo’s laboratory maintains analytical capabilities to support a wide range of the company’s operations, including water quality analysis, materials characterization, product quality control, and R&D. The Analytical Chemist will be the resident expert charged with qualifying, maintaining, and troubleshooting the methods and equipment that support all of these needs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures and associated training materials for a wide variety of analytical tests.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on laboratory instruments.
- Train other lab staff regarding best practices for laboratory instruments.
- Qualify outside laboratories for tests that will be outsourced, including local laboratories to support pilot-scale testing throughout North America.
- Perform sample testing on water, chemical intermediates, polymers, and membrane coupons as required by workload.
- Work closely with quality control program manager to design and conduct audits of test methods.
Competitive candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. Other educational backgrounds may be acceptable if the candidate can demonstrate equivalent knowledge in the relevant skills. Candidates with 1-5 years of experience in an industrial or commercial analytical laboratory are strongly preferred. Required skills and attributes:
- Excellent knowledge of liquid chromatography systems, with an emphasis on troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance. Candidates must have experience with HPLC/GPC/LC beyond just operation of the instruments.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of technically sound approaches to instrument calibrations, blank measurements, method audits, and quality checks.
- Improvisation, creativity, and the ability to quickly ‘prototype’ new methods.
- Good judgement in weighing concerns about accuracy and robustness against demands for speed and cost.
- Flexibility to manage changes in lab operations, priorities, or schedules.
- Subject matter knowledge in specific fields will make candidates more competitive. Ideally, candidates will have experience or deep familiarity with at least one of the following topics:
- Polymer characterization, including Gel Permeation Chromatography, Dynamic Light Scattering, and Differential Scanning Calorimetry.
- Water quality analysis including Chemical Oxygen Demand, Turbidity, Dissolved Metals, Nitrogen, and Oil & Grease.
Schedule and Location
This is a full-time position. ZwitterCo’s lab is located in Woburn, MA. The nature of this position makes remote work difficult; the lab operates with appropriate public health protocols in place.Apply Now Back to Careers